Monday, September 22, 2008

Daughters of God

I am preparing to teach a lesson in church on Sunday from a talk that Elder Ballard gave in General Conference in April on Daughters of God (click to read). I have read it a couple times now and a couple of points have stuck out to me. There is a part that says, "There is no one perfect way to be a good mother. Each situation is unique. Each mother has different challenges, different skills and abilities, and certainly different children." I seem to always try to find the "cure-all". The something that will work for both of my kids to help with tantrums, discipline, etc. Just to make them perfect children. But I have to remember, that like it says, each child is different and so what works great for one mother, may not work for me. It may seem trivial, but it was a good reminder to me not to look at other moms and kids and wonder why we aren't like them. Another part that was a good reminder to me was, "Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11). I seem to always be on the move and rushing to get places. Even on walks I take with my kids. I am always pulling them along instead of letting them enjoy their walk and letting them pick up leaves, or sticks, or bugs even. I need to be more patient. Just thought I would shares these little pieces of info with you!

3 comments:

Amber and David said...

I loved that talk! It really made me think about how I approach my daily life not only with my daughter but with my husband. I'm finding that time does really fly by and babies do really grow up too fast. I'm going to be sad when Sadie's all grown up and I can't remember the little details about when she's this age because I was too worried about the getting done and not living in the moment. Thank you so much for posting about this and reminding me!

Leah said...

thanks for the little bit of insight. i always need a reminder to stop and smell the roses...

Kim H. said...

Hey, sounds like I should read that talk. So cool that you are moving to Boise! Personally I would not move to Quna. Even though the area is really growing, and growing, Quna still has "the sticks" feel to it. We have had friends that moved their and then moved out a few years later. Houses are cheaper for a reason. My cousin just moved from their to Meridian too. I also have heard the schools are not great. Meridian I have a lot of experience with and I would move their. It is very suburbia, but a nice community and always growing. Anyway there is my two cents. Let me know when you move I can come visit when we get to my Grandma's every so often:)