Sunday, June 8, 2008

Profound Wisdom

I just finished the book I Am a Mother by Jane Clayson Johnson.  It was so good!  It reminded me how important being a mother is.  We are raising the future and raising sons and daughters of God.  Here is a story from that book, actually by C.S. Lewis from Mere Christianity that really hit me:
"Imagine yourself as a living house.   God comes in to rebuild that house.  At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing.  He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised.  But presently He starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not seem to make sense.  What on earth is He up to?  The explanation is that he is building quite a different house than the one you thought of - throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards.  You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace."

Jane Clayson Johnson adds to that by saying, " Maybe the next time someone asks, 'What do you do?' you can say, with a twinkle in your eye, that you're a subcontractor, currently working on a palace or two."  

This just really hit me and reminded me that I need to have a different attitude about what I do for a living.  Just thought I would share!

3 comments:

Bobvila said...

Wasn't it wonderful???!!!!! Now do you see why I said everyone should read that book? Glad you got something good out of it!

Misty said...

I loved that book! I also really enjoy C.S. Lewis writings. Another good one is the Great Divorce by C.S.Lewis.
I just finished a book called "Mothering with Spiritual Power", and it puts a different presprective on things and knowing how very important your role as a mom is in these latter days. It is nice to be reminded on how valuable you are as a wife, mom,etc...

erin said...

i love that! it is great to have little insights that make life a bit more meaningful. i think this is a book that i need to read. i love your pebbles and terrible two!!!